- Put the yogurt, ginger, garlic, Shemin’s Garam Masala, Shemin’s Curry Paste, and salt in a non metallic bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and leave in the fridge for 2 hours, or overnight
- Heat a casserole dish, large enough to hold the chicken and rice together, over a medium heat and add the ghee or butter.
- Add the onions and cook stirring frequently until browned
- Reduce heat to medium, add the marinated chicken and cook for 5-6 mins, then turn the heat off and put the lid on.
- For the rice, first add the saffron to the hot milk and set aside to soak for 20 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas 4. Bring a large saucepan of water to boil, add the salt and spices. Add the rice, return to boil and boil steadily for 2 mins.
- Drain the rice and pile the rice on top of the chicken mixture in your casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the saffron and milk over the rice.
- Wet a piece of grease proof paper in water, large enough to cover the rice completely, and lay loosely on top of the rice.
- Soak a clean tea towel in water and wring out, then lay loosely on top of the greaseproof paper
- Cover the casserole dish now with a piece of foil (it is important to cover the rice in this way to contain all the steam inside the casserole dish as the biryani cooks entirely in the steam created in the casserole)
- Put the lid on, and cook in the center of the oven for 1 hour.
- After an hour, turn off the oven and leave the casserole dish inside for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile make the garnish by browning the onions in the oil and set aside.
- Transfer the biryani to a warm serving dish and garnish with the fried onions and serve.
Free Recipe Ebooks
Subscribe to our Newsletter and we’ll send you our delicious recipe ebooks for free!
Thank you for signing up to receive tasty recipes and handy cooking tips from us here at Shemin’s! You should receive a link to the downloads page in your inbox shortly. If it does not arrive in a few minutes, please check your junk folder.