- Cut the okra into 1cm pieces. Ensure the okra has been washed and dried thoroughly beforehand. There should be no traces of moisture on the okra, as any moisture is going to make the okra slime while cooking, to prevent this put all the washed okra onto a paper towel or tea towel and let it dry for some time before patting it dry.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to a pan and fry the okra until crisp. Transfer the fried okra onto a plate. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and then add Shemin’s Cumin Seeds, Shemin’s Black Mustard Seeds and approximately 10 Shemin’s Dried Curry Leaves. Cook on a medium heat until the seeds start to pop, this will take roughly 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté with the spices. When browned, add the garlic, ginger and Shemin’s Curry Powder. Then add Shemin’s Cayenne Chilli Powder, Shemin’s Turmeric Powder and a splash of water. Cook the spices gently for 45 seconds, then add salt to taste, or approximately half a teaspoon.
- Next, mix the chopped parboiled potatoes in with the masala, then add the tinned tomatoes and simmer gently for 3 minutes or until the tomatoes are broken down. Then add the coconut milk, bring to a boil and finally add the prepped okra and stir into the curry.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with rice and Shemin’s Indian Breads.
- You can use fresh okra or often find it in the frozen aisle with the packs of frozen vegetables.