- Cut the fish into small chunks and place onto a tray. Squeeze a lemon directly onto the fish ensuring no pips are left in the tray with the fish. Sprinkle 2 tsp to Shemin’s Chaat Masala and 1 tsp of Shemin’s Turmeric Powder over the fish and mix to coat the fish in the spices. Season with salt and pepper, put cling over the tray and leave to marinade overnight. If needed sooner, leave to marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Put the oil into a pan which is not too deep, nor too shallow. The oil should reach a quarter way up the pan. Leave to heat up.
- In the meantime, mix 6 tbsp of gram flour/ besan with 3 tbsp of rice flour and 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda. Add 1 tsp each of minced garlic and ginger. Then add 1 tsp of Shemin’s Chaat Masala. Add 250 ml of sparkling water – make sure to add a little at a time as to avoid making the paste too runny. The paste should be thick but should run off the spoon easily (see video for visual).
- Add salt to taste, mix and fry a small amount of the paste to check that the oil is hot enough. The paste should brown in 20 seconds and float to the top. Coat the fish on both sides and fry, each side of the fish should be fried for 2 minutes. Place 2 sheets of paper towel onto a plate or wide bowl and place the fried fish on to the plate to absorb the excess oil. You can cut a small corner of one of the fish to ensure it is fully cooked.
- Plate the fish and serve with chips and salad for an easy yet delicious midweek meal!
Free Recipe Ebooks
Subscribe to our Newsletter and we’ll send you our delicious recipe ebooks for free!
Thank you for signing up to receive tasty recipes and handy cooking tips from us here at Shemin’s! You should receive a link to the downloads page in your inbox shortly. If it does not arrive in a few minutes, please check your junk folder.